This isn’t the first, and certainly won’t be the last, time you’re going to hear me say, “I LOVE SUMMER!”. It’s hot as hell in the city but something about it reminds me why I love living here. We first moved here in the summer, July 1 to exact, four years ago and summer always reminds me of those first few weeks of magic exploring the city with my family. Summer is also so elusive. It always seems to slip through my fingers in the blink of an eye and before you know it the trees are changing colors and there is a breeze in the air.
I wanted to make the ultimate summer bucket list to help me keep track off all the things I can’t forget to do this year. We are staying in NYC for a few weeks and traveling to visit family so we will have plenty of time to have all our summer fun. So I’ve included a few things specific to NYC but there’s also plenty for you to try in your own hometown.
- Have a picnic in Central Park (check!) – I was able to cross this one off my list just in time for 4th of July with these beautiful ladies. We found the perfect spot right by Belvedere Castle but just a heads up, the castle is under renovation for the next year so you won’t get that classic view.
- Ride the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island
- Read 10 New Books – I’m working on a blog post for you guys with all of the books I have had my eye on and a few that I just finsihed reading that I know you’re going to love. If you have any favorites leave them in the comments below!
- Make Strawberry Shortcake – my favorite dessert ever!
- Go To An Outdoor Concert – Both Central and Prospect Park have great (and some are free!) concerts going on all summer long. Aaron and I have a date night plan this weekend to go check one out and I can’t wait.
- Explore A New Neighborhood – Summer is the perfect time to go explore what’s in your own back yard. A few weekends ago we went to Red Hook to walk around, eat at Brooklyn Crab, and see what the neighborhood had to offer. I also haven’t been to Harlem yet so that’s on my list right now.
- Go Camping – We love camping and since we don’t have a car it can be a little hard to make our way out of the city. But camping also checks off some of the important Summer Bucket List items like “make s’mores” and “build a bonfire” so you get bonus points for making that happen.
- Take An Ice Cream Tour of the City – NYC is known for so many different ice cream spots. Why not spend a day just hopping from one cone to the next and eat your way through 31 flavors. Because what’s a summer bucket list without ice cream?
- Watch The Sunset On The Beach – Probably my favorite thing about Summer are the epic sunsets and cotton candy skies you just don’t see any other time of the year. I’ll probably do this when I go see my sister in Cape Cod next week.
- Spend More Time With Friends – Our apartment is too small to really have people over for dinner or to entertain. But, now that the weather is better, I’m hoping to invite friends over to have ice cream on the stoop or to go play in the park together. Or maybe go check out a new playground in the city just because we can because lord knows when winter comes we aren’t going to be leaving the house much.
- Go To An Outdoor Movie – Or host your own outdoor movie night in the backyard. That isn’t happening here in the city but, the Parks Department does host several different movie nights in parks all over the city. They have family movies like “Jumanji” or “Despicable Me 3” and movie nights for the adults with showing of “Star Wars” or “LaLa Land”.
Shop The Post:
Now, I’d love to know what is on your ultimate summer bucket list! Please share in the comments below 🙂
Photos by Bailey Teague