Happy New Years friends! That was a much needed break and I couldn’t be happier to be coming back to this space. Walking into this new year, I’m bringing with me fresh ideas and inspiration. I know I talked about making this space something new and maybe not what everyone started following me for to begin with but you’re going to start seeing more of those changes this year and it’s got me really excited.
I wanted to share my goals with you here today. 1. As a way of holding myself accountable and being able to reflect on next year and 2. So that you may walk away feeling inspired or with a new idea about what intentions and goals you’d like to set forth for yourself.
This is a big one for me. As you know, I’ve suffered with a great deal of anxiety this year. Well, I started taking medication to help me with that and my weight skyrocketed. You may not notice it because I carefully chose flattering angles and like a good Irish woman, all the weight goes to my hips and not really my face. It really provided a moment for me to stop and think for a moment. Like whoa, how did I get here. So I’ve made Health a main focus for me this year. I may not share much of this journey (unless you’re interested, in which case let me know in the comments!) because it’s pretty personal and may be boring but it’s also real life and you need to know it’s not all sunshine and rainbows over here.
- Find a therapist I like and commit to twice a month to deal with anxiety
- Ask for help when I need it.
- Get more sleep! Ideally a 10pm bedtime
- Give up candy/sweets for 30 days. I have a huge sugar addiction and it really messes with me.
- Eat clean 80% of the time. I notice when I eat better, I sleep/feel better too.
- Make fitness a priority and lifestyle. Commit to working out 4 times a week.
- Run a 5k without walking.
- Do 1 pull-up. I’ve never in my life been able to do a pull up and I think it’d be pretty cool!
- Drink more water.
- Eat less meat.
- Find a cookbook and make my way through it.
I feel like I’m doing a pretty good job being a Mom right now. The girls are a little older and they’re more fun and it’s easier to play and do things with them. But I also am facing a lot of new challenges (with Edith in particular) and want to make sure I’m being consistent, loving, and firm.
- Spend 15 minutes each day on the floor with the girls giving them my undivided attention
- Put the phone away between 4pm-bedtime. No excuses.
- Read 3 parenting books (because I have no clue what I’m doing) and find a philosophy that works and stick with it.
- Individual dates with the girls once a month.
- Be the silly parent.
This one was hard for me to do. I have a hard time setting goals and feel like if I have expectations of how I should be doing or what brands I’m working with or my engagement rate, I’m setting myself up for failure or being completely superficial. But at the same time, if this is going to by my job I need to be analytical and treat it as such without taking it personal. I’m also not sure if this is the job for me. Because I got pregnant with Edie so young, I never had time to see what life in the corporate world was like. Maybe I’d enjoy doing something else more? Who knows, I’ve even talked with Aaron about going back to school! There’s so many possibilities and I know there’s a plan that will unfold and lead me exactly where I’m supposed to be.
- Post twice a week, every week.
- Dedicate 5 hours a week to planning, strategizing, and finding inspiration.
- Apply for 3 jobs that I may want.
- Be featured on Who What Wear, MyDomaine, and/or Refinery 29.
- Rewrite my mission statement.
- Invest in a new camera and focus on my photography.
- Analyze data and stats each month to produce the best content I can.
Having young kids made it extremely hard for me to show up for other people. It’s not because I didn’t want to, or that my kids were so interesting I had nothing in common with anyone anymore, it’s just that I think I’ve literally lost most of my mind. I’m forgetful in ways I never used to be, unorganized, and unless it’s right in front of me, it’s out of sight out of mind. That being said, I want to start being the friend and sister/daughter/aunt/etc… that I want to be.
- Call my family more often just to ask how they are and say “I love you”.
- Do something nice for a friend or family member once a month (at least).
- Send snail mail for special occasions and thank you’s.
- Have more friends over for dinner/brunch.
- Be a better listener.
And these goals are just for me. Things I want to accomplish alone and changes I’d like to make in myself. These are more general and broad ideas for me to focus on to be the person I want to be.
- Organize photos and create a photo book once a month.
- Keep a journal. Daily and especially while traveling.
- Travel to at least 4 new places I’ve never been before.
- Wake up earlier. 6:30 am every weekday.
- Go on another solo trip.
- Do something that scares me.
- Stop complaining so much.
- Be less lazy.
- Clean out my closet and only keep things I absolutely love. Stop buying as much stuff.
- Focus on my skincare. Wear sunscreen every day!
- Read a new book every month. Alternate between Fiction and Non-Fiction.
- Try to be a positive force in people’s lives.
- Volunteer more.
That’s it folks! In a nutshell, that’s everything I’m striving for. I’d love to know what it is you’re focusing on or how you set your intention for the New Year. Maybe we can even check back here and help to hold ourselves accountable.
Photo by Julia Elizabeth for Lucky Penny.