Yesterday was National Ice Cream Day – a manufactured holiday I can totally get behind. I’m not really an ice cream person, I prefer candy as my sweet of choice, but something about the summer heat in the city and seeing an ice cream truck on every corner always seems to put me in the mood for this cold treat. Below I’ve listed my 10 favorite scoops here in the city if you’re hoping to satisfy your cravings!
- Van Leeuwen: My personal favorite shop in the entire city! Get the Honeycomb, you won’t regret it.
- Brooklyn Farmacy: The best on the list for kids, the girls and I head to this Carroll Gardens destination for grilled cheese sandwiches, milkshakes, and banana splits.
- Ample Hills: Everyone’s favorite Brooklyn shop has now expanded to Manhattan with locations near Highline and Gotham Market. It’s a little sweet for me but the girl’s love it.
- Blossom: A Brooklyn take on the Vietnamese ice cream trend (where we took our photos above). The girls got the Sweetheart – strawberries and graham crackers – and the Cookie Butter flavors.
- Emack & Bolio’s : This shop on the Upper East Side is best known for their insane cones made with every topping imaginable.
- Morgenstern’s: Another personal favorite, this Lower East Side establishment has a old fashioned feel and the best mint chip ice cream I have ever had.
- Eggloo: What’s better than waffles + ice cream? Add as many toppings as you want to make your own crazy creation.
- Mr. Softee: Honestly, nothing makes me think of New York summers more than these soft-serve cones straight out of the truck. There’s always one parked outside of our local playground and the music of the ice cream man brings out nostalgia for my childhood summers, running out to meet the ice cream man on the corner.
- Ice & Vice: Head here for the crazy flavors with fun pop culture references like “Milk Money” and “Shade”.
- Coolhaus: I was first introduced to these guys at the ShopUp in LA and was pleasantly surprised to find one of their trucks when I was walking through Union Square! Ice cream sandwiches at their best!
Photos by Julia Elizabeth for Lucky Penny